Command line stuff from Kmenu

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Mon Jan 28 18:28:37 UTC 2008

Knapp wrote:
> My file is called /home/bin/slowcd.sh
> These lines are in it:
> #!/bin/bash
> setcd -x 1
>
> name:Quiet DVD and I have an exclamation point in a star as the icon.
> command: /home/bin/slowcd.sh
>
> checked enable launch feedback
> checked run in terminal.

Hmm, that looks a bit strange to me. In a previous mail you wrote your
command was "~/slowcd.txt". I suppose you changed the command name and
you made a directory "bin" due to suggestions in this thread. Where did
you make that directory? Is it really in "/home"? If you made it in your
home directory, the file would rather be "/home/douglas/bin/slowcd.sh"
(if your login name is douglas). Please check with ls that you use the
correct path for the script and that it is executable. It should look
like this:

ls -l /home/douglas/bin/slowcd.sh
-rwxr-xr-x 1 douglas douglas 23 Jan 28 19:16 /home/douglas/bin/slowcd.sh

Other than that, I would suggest you use the entire path for the setcd
command, i.e. make your script like this:

#!/bin/bash
/usr/bin/setcd -x 1

I think that might even work, if you use the command directly at the menu
entry.

If it still doesn't work, do you see any error message in the terminal
which should pop up when you select the menu entry? If the terminal
closes too fast, you could append a command like "sleep 20" at the end of
your script. Then the terminal would stay opened for 20 seconds so you
could see messages from the script.

Nils