Strigi results

D. R. Evans doc.evans at gmail.com
Sun Jan 27 20:49:54 UTC 2008

O. Sinclair said the following at 01/26/2008 08:26 PM :

> So far I have not seen one positive reply on this issue. Time to check
> out Google Desktop then I guess, am not a FOSS religious person.
> Kerry/Beagle I hear is good but heavy on resources?

I sure don't have an issue with beagle using resources; I've never noticed
it at all, and I've been running it for more than a year on dapper and then
gutsy. Obviously, YMMV. I find it to be invisible, fast, accurate and reliable.

The people that suggest using standard tools like grep, find, etc.,
probably don't use it for doing things like searching for media files.

Don't get me wrong: kerry/beagle is a long way from perfect (it needs to
know about a lot more file types, gets confused about the dates of IM
conversations, and needs to understand encryption, just to name three
examples); but at various points in the past year I believe I've tried all
the search tools mentioned so far in this thread, and I haven't a shadow of
a doubt that, for me at least, kerry/beagle is by far the best. The others
either miss files, are unstable, don't let you search within a particular
category of resource, or search a much more limited set of types of file.

The comment someone made about about google desktop was exactly my original
point: we don't have anything to match the tools that are available in the
Windows world. Yet. I have no doubt that eventually our tools will far
exceed theirs.

  Doc