APT Is Nagging Me To Remove Things I Don't Want To Remove

D. Michael McIntyre michael.mcintyre at rosegardenmusic.com
Sat Jan 26 20:32:02 UTC 2008

On Saturday 26 January 2008, Derek Broughton wrote:

> > You can, sure.  I operate with the idea that I want to set as little as
> > possible to manual installed, because it helps with cruft problems later
> > on during upgrades, but this isn't a big deal.

> But on that note, I'd point out that Nigel almost certainly did _not_ need
> the lib* packages he just manually installed.

Quite right.  The "cruft problems" I didn't bother to elaborate on.

Good explanation.

That's why I suggested doing this with the big packages you know you want.
Install, eg., the gimp, and let apt worry about the libs.  At the end of the
day, you have all your apps, and probably do have some obsolete libs left
over; especially if you're installing anything from, say, backports.
--
D. Michael McIntyre