Strigi results

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Sat Jan 26 18:37:46 UTC 2008

Billie Walsh wrote:
> O. Sinclair wrote:
>> Honestly,
>> does anyone get something meaningful out of Strigi?
>>
>> I have x number of documents etc and I have had Strigi run its indexing
>> and so on. On search for eg "scc" I get loads of hltm, vcf and so on
>> files. But no documents and I can tell you I have loads of documents
>> with scc in the title not to mention in the text.
>>
>> Search for "Bowie" and expect music files etc and get, again, old hmtl
>> pages I have stored.
>>
>> Seems rather meaningless to use at the moment or I am doing something
>> fundamentally wrong.
>>
>> Sinclair
>>

> My experience with strigi is .........well............. mixed to say the
> best.
>
> Sometimes it actually finds something and others it just sort of sits
> there looking stupid. I did something yesterday that was "lost" so I
> decided to try strigi after your post. It sort of found what I wanted,
> in a left hand sort of way. It produced some "HTML" files that led me to
> what I wanted to know.
>
> I see that it runs in Konqueror as a "web" page. Maybe this is the way
> its supposed to work.

It tallies with my experience. I had to delete the index results like
3-4 times and redo the whole thing (it is VITAL not to interrupt Strigi
b4 it has finished indexing) but the results are mainly confusing and,
at least for me, consist of God knows how many html, vcf etc from inside
Kmail but very, if any, few results from documents, music, movies,
pictures in my home folder w subfolders.

Sinclair