SMS?

David Fletcher kubuntu-users at thefletchers.net
Sat Jan 26 11:09:15 UTC 2008

On Saturday 26 Jan 2008, O. Sinclair wrote:
> D. R. Evans wrote:
> > Ignazio Palmisano said the following at 01/25/2008 11:37 AM :
> >> D. R. Evans wrote:
> >
> I suggest you go to
> www.kde-apps.org and search for "sms" and see what comes up. Or you find
> a web-based provider for sending free sms which is what I have a feeling
> is what you are looking for. Otherwise most tools you will find will be
> based on the concept of using your phone to send sms that you type on
> the computer.
>
> Sinclair

There are some services around that act as email->sms gateways such as:-

http://www.sms-service.co.uk/email-to-sms.html

Generally, I think you have to purchase credit before you can use the service.
I have filled in the customer service feedback form at Virgin Mobile to ask
if they could provide this service, as an addition to their current services,
operating like an authenticated SMTP server. It could be set up to take the
normal user account name and password for logging into the web site for
authentication, charging the SMS messages to the customer's existing account.
Virgin Mobile responded, saying yes they think it's a good idea. If more
people ask their mobile providers for the service, it might help to get it
provided.

Dave

--
Registered Linux user number 393408