SMS?

D. R. Evans doc.evans at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 23:47:58 UTC 2008

Ignazio Palmisano said the following at 01/25/2008 11:37 AM :
> D. R. Evans wrote:

>> I did a search in Synaptic for "sms" and it seems like there are several
>> possible clients one can use to send SMS messages from Kubuntu (in
>> particular, from within Kontact). Which package do people here recommend?
>>
>> If it makes a difference, I am in the US.

> KMobileTools works nicely for my Sony Ericsson (go and download the
> latest version from its site, however, the one in the repositories right
> now does not update the list of sms on the phone).

The blurb for KMobileTools says:

----

KDE application for controlling your mobile phone
KMobileTools is a nice KDE application that allows you to control your
mobile phone from your GNU/Linux PC.
It's based on a Motorola C350 and C650, but it's also compatible with
other mobile phones like Nokia, Ericsson and Siemens.

----

Which doesn't sound at all like what I am looking for. I don't want to
control anything; I just want to be able send an SMS from the computer to
people's phones. It doesn't seem right that it should matter what kind of
phone they have, since SMS is SMS, regardless of the phone.

In Kontact configuration there is a section called "Script Hooks" that has
an entry labelled "SMS text" (which is currently blank, but presumably will
need something in it once an SMS client is installed on the system).
Unfortunately, the Kontact so-called help is considerably less than helpful
in regard to all this :-(

  Doc

PS I installed kmobiletools anyway, in case I was misunderstanding its
description, but it definitely isn't what I was looking for. It seems to
want to talk to my phone somehow (bluetooth, usb or serial) which makes no
sense if all I want to do is to send an SMS to (say) my wife's phone. So
I've uninstalled it.