Terminal Window

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Tue Jan 22 13:57:44 UTC 2008

John DeCarlo wrote:

> On Jan 21, 2008 12:56 PM, Wes Hegge <whegge at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Several way I can think to do this.
>>
>> First is history.

If the "Terminal" is konsole, history (and the ability to search it) is
available from the edit menu.  Konsole has a "Bookmarks" menu, but it's
only for directories.  It seems like a waste - if I bookmark /x/y/z, when I
click on the bookmark it executes "cd /x/y/z", why not just let me bookmark
either "cd /x/y/z" or "/x/y/z" and execute that?  In fact, if you
terminated the bookmarked command with a / it could assume it was a "cd"
and so be compatible with the current bookmarks (which have trailing
slashes).

>> The other way is to use aliases.
>>

> Another way is to write a script and put it in /usr/local/bin so everyone
> can use it.
>
> I do this with complicated backups and the like.

Of course, script wizards do that with an alias :-) (which you could put
in /etc/profile)
--
derek