laptop freezing?

lanzen lanzenesi at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 11:35:32 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 22 January 2008 03:24:50 Jonathan Jesse wrote:

> Anyways I am running 7.10 on my
> Dell Latitude D830 and every now and then the entire laptop seems to
> freeze.  I see no hard drive activity thought the wifi light still flashes.
>  I am able to ping the box and also SSH into the system, but  I can't do a
> Ctl+Alt+Backspace to restart X or when I ssh into the system I am unable to
> reboot the system. Any ideas?
> Any files I can post to hlp out debugging
> this problem?

Can you see the system log while you ssh? It could be interesting to see what
happens just before the freeze, but, unfortunally, chances are you wouldn't
find anything relevant.

Anyway, it looks as if this is related to a nasty bug that has made its way in
k/ubuntu soon after the last nvidia update (D830 has a nvidia card, right?)
when gutsy became release.

So you might get a picture of the situation by reading these:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/145112
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/157777

and see if you think that what you got sounds similar.

In my case I had this bug on my desktop, but not on my laptop. I solved it by
installing the new nvidia driver
http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display_amd64_169.09.html

This can be achieved manually or, in a smooth and easy way, via envy:
http://albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html

--
lanzen