Alternatives to Kubuntu, was Re: KDE 4.0.0!

Andrew Jarrett jarrett.andrew at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 15:06:33 UTC 2008

On 1/20/08, ronw at paradise.net.nz <ronw at paradise.net.nz> wrote:
> usenet???  Is usenet even still in existence. Come on we are in the 21st century
> now and there are better ways to diseminate information.

Wow.  There are tons of people that still use Usenet to gather
information.  Don't be so quick to rule out a great resource just
because it is "old".  That's like saying: "LEIK OMG! emacz an vi is
rully  old! Isnt evervy1 using MSVIZUALSTUDIO??!!".   If you don't
think Usenet is useful why are you on a mailing list?  There is
semantically no difference between Usenet and a mailing list.  RSS
feeds and other technologies may be great at dispersing information,
but they only give you breadth of information.  If you ever want depth
of information, you just may find yourself asking questions on Usenet
(or a mailing list).

> Our local university
> discontinued mirroring usenet years ago.

Good for them...

> Your article on merits of top versus bottom is very old fashioned and I would
> guess it was written before things like Wireless conenctions and handhelds etc.

Your (and others) argument on this subject is very annoying to the
knowledgeable and veteran members of this list who prefer cropping and
middle posting (like my post - its really not "bottom posting").  It
also looks very selfish (i.e. "Why should I inconvenience _myself_ in
posting the preferred way?  The very busy people that may be able to
answer my question should be inconvenienced because I'm too lazy or
stubborn to give a shit.").  That said, I would still help you if you
had a problem; I'm just trying to let you know that you're probably
burning some bridges around here.

Andrew

--
45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B2