Catch 22 Default Apps

Billie Walsh bilwalsh at swbell.net
Mon Jan 21 04:06:49 UTC 2008

Wulfy wrote:
> Clark wrote:
>
>> Wulfy wrote:
>>
>>> Type "about:config" into FF's address bar.
>>>
>>> Search for:
>>>
>>> network.protocol-handler.app.mailto
>>>
>>> It's a string...  set it to your mail apps name [mine says "thunderbird"]
>>>

>> Tried that then discovered some points of confusion:
>> 1. Do I create a new line  -  network.protocol-handler.app.mailto and
>> append the word thunderbird to make it the default Email app.
>> 2. Do I repeat this process - another new   -
>> network.protocol-handler.app.mailto and add firefox
>> 3. Then set these lines to true and the expose line to true?
>>

> 1. When you create the new line it will ask for a name
> (network.protocol-handler.app.mailto) and a value (thunderbird).  It
> then inserts the line into the appropriate file in your user directory
> and updates the screen.  That's all you have to do - fill in 2 boxes.
>
> 2. Firefox is not a mail app... so no.
>
> 3. The n.p-h.expose.mailto boolean you toggle (true).
>
> That it.

To automatically open links in Thunderbird in Firefox you will also have
to make some similar changes to Thunderbird config. Click
Edit>Preferences>Advanced>General>Config Editor. Add two lines:

network.protocol-handler.pap.http       firefox
network.protocol-handler.app.https      firefox

For some reason these lines have been omitted for the latest releases.