How do I flush swap?

Nigel Ridley nigel at rmk.co.il
Sun Jan 20 07:28:38 UTC 2008

I was doing some printing on my Feisty box through KDE and chose to 'Preview' the print
job first. The first print job was OK but when I tried another one (again with 'Preview')
suddenly the computer went real sluggish and even the mouse pointer would move erratically.
After about a minute the print job started and the memory usage (I have 1GB) went back
from using everything, including quite a bit of my swap file, to normal.

Q. How do I flush/clear the swap file which is still showing a chunk in use?

nigel at nigels:~$ free
Mem:       1035776     878456     157320          0     136148     503312
-/+ buffers/cache:     238996     796780
Swap:       522072     158004     364068
nigel at nigels:~$

Blessings,

Nigel

--