what is wrong with my konqueror/kmail settings?

Donatas G. dgvirtual at akl.lt
Fri Jan 18 21:39:06 UTC 2008

On Friday 18 January 2008 15:40:23 Derek Broughton rašė:
> Donatas G. wrote:

> >> Nothing; the server is wrong:
>
> Yes (maybe) and no.
>
> >> it tells the web browser that file
> >> contains plain text, not binary data.  As a result Konqueror does the
> >> right thing and displays it -- but warns you about the problem.
>
> Yes, the server should report it as application/x-deb mimetype, but
> konqueror is quite capable of handling files without proper mimetypes based
> on file suffix.  I'm not sure this wasn't reported properly - my network's
> too slow to want to check; what I can see is that my own mirror has no
> definition for application/x-deb, but konqueror still treats them a such.
> Unfortunately, Kubuntu doesn't automatically come with a way to handle
> packages from the web but you can always install gdebi-kde to fix it.

You can try to start downloading that package - it is less than one mb
anyway..

Should I check file associations to troubleshoot? I have gdebi-kde installed,
and *.deb is associated with: gdebi, then - ark, then - karchiver, and the
embedding options are: "use settings for 'applications' group" (other options
are: "show file in embedded viewer" and "show file in separate viewer") and
the checkbox "ask whether to save to disk instead" is also checked.

The package is still displayed in konqueror (unless it is on a local file
system).

--
Donatas Glodenis
http://dg.lapas.info