kdm error

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Fri Jan 18 17:34:38 UTC 2008

Nigel Ridley wrote:

> Derek Broughton wrote:
>> Nigel Ridley wrote:
>>
>>> Starting K Display Manager: kdm/usr/bin/kdm: error while loading shared
>>> libraries: /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libresolv.so.2: ELF file version does not
>>> match current one
>>> Any ideas on a fix?
>>
>> Remove libc6-i686 and try again.  If that works, then try reinstalling
>> libc6-i686.
>>
>> This was a _common_ problem in feisty pre-release, but I've never seen it
>> in stable versions.
>
> Thanks that did it - I think. My daughter had already successfully
> started the computer and was using it when I came home from work!
> Anyway I did as you suggested and now it starts OK.

btw, this should never happen with gutsy.

The problem occurs (aiui - this is the voice of experience, not that of a
kernel developer!) because you have libc6 and libc6-i686 and the installer
has to update one or the other first - but they both need to be at the same
version!  I found it caused so many problems when I was running feisty
pre-release versions that I simply uninstalled libc6-i686 (it only contains
686-optimized versions of functions in libc6) until feisty was officially
released.

Since Gutsy, we now see apt periodically print a message about deferred
libc6 updates, which I believe is intended specifically to prevent this
problem
--
derek