Kubuntu 8.04, KDE 3 and KDE 4 and LTS

Michael W. Holdeman lists at ptfd.org
Wed Jan 16 15:41:54 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 15 January 2008 11:38:59 pm O. Sinclair wrote:
> Jonathan Jesse wrote:
> > According to the notes and discussion from the past two Kubuntu Devel
> > mtgs, I think the mtg notes were posted to this list and the devel list
> > there is going to be a cd of KDE3.5 released on cdimages.ubuntu.com
> > <http://cdimages.ubuntu.com> and then 4.0 will be avialable from shipit
> > and from releases.ubuntu.com <http://releases.ubuntu.com>
> >
> > Hope that helps clarify things
>
> I guess I can live with that (or have to as it seems...) though I think
> it should be the other way around. I still think that to make a KDE4
> that does not even have a beta PIM in place the "base" package is
> completely wrong. I have understood why Canonical do not want to make
> 8.04 an LTS though I think they are wrong too - if they can tinker with
> a by now ancient version of Gnome for 6.06 then I think keeping a stable
> KDE 3.5.8 (or 9) could not be that difficult.
>
> Sinclair

kde4.0 and kdepim-3.5.7_(whatever it is kubuntu is currently using) works fine
on my machine, although I had to uninstall kwallet-3.5.8 so it would call
kwallet 4.0.

While there are a few difficluties I'm working on, like cxoffice menu's still
unable to make them appear in kde4's menus? and MyPasswordSafe segfaulting,
and knetworkmanager not autostarting...

Mike