Kubuntu 8.04, KDE 3 and KDE 4 and LTS

Luke Knowles sonoftheclayr at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 10:40:08 GMT 2008

On 1/14/08, O. Sinclair <o.sinclair at gmail.com> wrote:

> This is some sort of poll to see what the people on the list thinks
> about this.
>
> I am very much for keeping KDE 3.5 in Kubuntu 8.04 (yes I know it is not
> being removed) and make it an LTS release alongside the Ubuntu 8.04.
> KDE4 can be an option for those who are interested, just as it is now in
> 7.10
>
> what do you think? As I know Jonathan Riddell reads the list we might
> send a message to him and the other developers this way.
>
> Sinclair

I agree with Canonical on this one. If KDE 3.5 is obsoleted by the end of
the year or somewehere next year what is the point of supporting it for 3
years on an LTS?  I know the LTS releases are important to some people but
if the main pieces of software aren't going to be 'officially' supported for
the entire support period it's just a drain on resources to support them
'unofficially'. I know sometimes that normal releases sometimes have more
problems than the LTS releases but we'll just have to work extra hard to
make sure something like that doesn't happen this time around. And in doing
so experience may be gained to help with further releases. If we aren't
going to have a Kubuntu 8.04 as an LTS everybody is going have to pitch in
and help out to make it as stable and bugfree as possible. Personally I
don't like the idea of supporting something that is 3 years old and most
likely outdated and obsolete.  I'm sure many of you won't agree with me on
this one but  I'm sure I'm not te only one that thinks this way about the
lack of a Kubuntu LTS this year.

--
http://sonoftheclayr.info/