KDE 4.0.0!

Richard A. Johnson nixternal at kubuntu.org
Tue Jan 15 21:02:33 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 15 January 2008, Derek Broughton wrote:
[...]
| > KDE 4 was not the reason to drop LTS support for our 3.5.x branch,
|
| Of course it was.

You are kidding right? Do you follow development at all? Do you communicate on a
daily basis with Canonical? I think the answer is obvious. The choice to drop
LTS was made by Canonical, _NOT_ Kubuntu. Why? At the time, the KDE community
didn't communicate their future with supporting KDE 3.5. It was because of this
that Canonical, not any other community team, decided that making Kubuntu 8.04
an LTS release may not be plausible. I see a lot of people saying how hard
could it be to maintain KDE 3.5 until 2011, it is hard, especially when your
developer community is small, and really isn't funded.

Truth be told, I don't agree with Canonical's decision on dropping the LTS as we
know that KDE will be supported for another few years. Novell and Red Hat, the
two largest enterprise developers, will not be dropping their KDE support, so
that means they will be creating/patching KDE security issues and bugs for the
next few years. I don't see why we can't share information with Novell and Red
Hat, especially after this past UDS, it seemed the cooperation between the
distributions and upstream were a big deal.

--
Richard A. Johnson
nixternal at kubuntu.org
GPG Key: 0x2E2C0124