Kubuntu Crashes, Third Time

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Mon Jan 14 18:08:28 UTC 2008

Chris Miller wrote:

> On Jan 14, 2008 8:46 AM, Jim <mickeyboa at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> Kubuntu 7.10
>> Bootup and Ubuntu "Boot Menu" comes up and when Kubuntu starts , Error
>> 15: File not found.  .....Press any key to continue.  I press key and
>> get same error message.
>>
>> This is the third time that Kubuntu has crash like this on this Laptop
>> and I have to reinstall each time.
>> I have XP, Fedora, and Kubuntu installed on Laptop, Fedora 8 or XP
>> doesn't have any problems of booting from
>> Ubuntu Boot Menu, it's just Kubuntu that crashes.

I like how you blame Kubuntu.  When did you last upgrade Fedora?  This
sounds very much like you're letting both Fedora and Kubuntu update the
MBR, and are surprised by the results!

If you're going to install two Linux distros to the same machine, you're
best off installing grub to the superblock of the respective partitions,
and have grub (or another bootloader) chain to them the same way you chain
to Windows now (fwiw, that's _exactly_ why booting to XP isn't an issue -
and booting to Fedora works because the Ubuntu installer was smart enough
to know it was there.  Booting to Ubuntu isn't working because the _Fedora_
installer doesn't know about Ubuntu).

> Sounds like an error in how you (or your tool) wrote the sources.list in
> /boot.

/boot/grub/menu.lst, actually

> Check settings, it's probably indicating a nonexistant kernel.

Yes.
--
derek