KDE 4.0.0!

Howard Coles Jr. dhcolesj at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 04:32:49 UTC 2008

On Sunday 13 January 2008 06:40:03 pm D. Michael McIntyre wrote:
> On Sunday 13 January 2008, Chris Miller wrote:
> > You're point?
>
> My point is that KDE4 reminds me a lot of Windows Vista, and it doesn't
> really matter a rat's ass where the clock came from, does it?  The first
> time I saw the clock, and the whole concept of putting little widgets on
> the desktop was in Windows Vista.  The next time I saw the clock, and the
> whole concept of putting little widgets on the desktop was in the KDE 4
> live CD.  Therefore KDE 4 reminds me a lot of Windows Vista.  It doesn't
> matter if Babbage's difference engine had a clock widget on its desktop;
> this is still the sequence of exposure to the concept I experienced, and
> that sequence is totally indisputable.  Therefore, KDE4 reminds me a lot of
> Windows Vista. There is no possible argument here to counter the assertion
> that, as I asserted previously, it appears from my perspective that KDE is
> following Microsoft's lead.
>
> That might not be true, and I am not asserting that it is.  Merely that is
> appears that way from my perspective.  Which it does, indisputably.
>
> End of discussion.
> --
> D. Michael McIntyre

Sorry about this, but, I want to note a couple of things that may help your
comfort level with KDE and the Desktop widgets.

MickySoft got its idea for Desktop widgets from Karamba, and SuperKaramba
(which I'm running now in KDE 3.5 with a weather, Verse of the Day, system
monitor, and yes an analog clock) themes.  To tell you the truth, KDE's
Superkaramba integrates better with the desktop background than MickySoft's
Vista's "Sidebar".

And as a side note, the best I recall from pictures I've seen, and testimony,
the first Xerox "windowing" environments displayed a large analog clock on
them.  :-D  Sorry, Michael, just *had* to say it.  Don't taz me.

I know this may sound blasphemous on a Linux list, but everyone has to admit
that Vista is pleasing to the eyes, at least to most folks.  It doesn't
please anything else, and is crappy as all get out, but it does look good.
Which just goes to show you, beauty is only skin deep, but ugly is to the
bone. :-D

Please note the above was generally meant as humor, even though it does
contain some truth.  (disclaimer).

--
See Ya'
Howard Coles Jr.