KDE 4.0.0!

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Sun Jan 13 20:11:29 UTC 2008

On 13/01/2008, Billie Walsh <bilwalsh at swbell.net> wrote:
> On 01/13/2008 Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > Probably because Microsoft separated Internet Explorer from Windows
> > Explorer. Got to follow the leader, you know!
>
> Actually Windows Explorer replaced File Manager. I don't believe it was
> ever "part" of Internet Explorer. Up through ME you could still use File
> Manager if you chose. The file manager in Wine is styled after File Manager.

They may not have shared an executable, but one could type a url into
Windows Explorer and surf, or type a local path into Internet Explorer
and browse. IE7 and IE7+ have changed that.

> Now, back to KDE 4.0.0
>
> From reading the list I think I will wait a bit before jumping on the
> band wagon. I was sorely tempted at first, having heard all the
> wonderful pre-release stuff. But anyway................
>
> As for Dolphin, well............, to be truthful I kind of like it. OK,
> OK, I know it's not perfect. There are things I would like to be
> different. BUT, as I have made an effort to use it whenever possible and
> learn it's funny little quirks, I find it pretty usable. I'm sure it
> will evolve into a favorite if given the chance.

As I trust the KDE devs, I'm assuming also that this will be the case.

> KDE/Konqueror. Well, I suppose I've ever only used a "3" release so I
> can't really say which is better or worse. However, My better half says
> I'm anal. When I do something I take great pains to get it RIGHT. From
> what I see on this, and other lists, "I" would not have released KDE4 as
> a "release" maybe an "rc". I think there are just to many things that
> aren't completed yet.

The problem is, that the testers pool was saturated. Nobody new was
installing the RCs, so no bugs were being found. Now that the
installation base is widening, and the usage patterns are more
diverse, more bugs are being discovered. This is rather typical of
point-o releases in my experience. Did nobody here install Firefox
2.0.0.0? Open Office 2.0? Windows Vista?

> Can any of the developers, and I DO appreciate all their hard work [ God
> knows I can't do it so I can appreciate those that do ], Actually point
> to KDE4.0.0 and say with REAL PRIDE and sense of ACCOMPLISHMENT, "I did
> that." Would they want a HUGE billboard erected with their picture and
> the words, "I helped build KDE4.0.0!"
>
> OK, I'll shut up now and go back to lurking on this thread.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.