KDE 4.0.0!

Clay Weber claydoh at midmaine.com
Sun Jan 13 17:09:51 UTC 2008

On Sunday 13 January 2008 1:15:17 am Terence Simpson wrote:
> Howard Coles Jr. wrote:
> >>
> >> If you want to compare it to 3.5.8 then please wait until 4.5.8, then
> >> you'll be comparing things on an equal standing.
> >
> > I have to disagree here.  4.0 is the NEXT release in the KDE series, its
> > supposed to be better.  KDE 3 was way better than KDE 2.whatever, as I
> > recall, and KDE 2 was better than KDE 1.  We have a long history of
> > expecting better, not "as good".   What you are saying sounds like you
> > work for M$.
> >
> > Don't release a desktop just because its time, and expect me to act happy
> > about it if its crap.  Sorry, but I've read this thread, and over and
> > over again I'm hearing "can't do this" and "can't do that".  Can't
> > resize, no customization, no this, and no that.  It has me seriously
> > worried about running it.
>
> KDE 2.0 was not "as good" as KDE1, it wasn't for a while. Neither was
> KDE 3.0 as good as KDE2 for a while.

 have to agree here. When KDE 3.0 was rolled out, there were endless problems
and crashes/freezes and more. 3.01 was out about a month and a half later,
with quite a lot of fixes
http://www.kde.org/announcements/changelogs/changelog3_0to3_0_1.php
and 3.02, 3.03, and so on.

New and missing features were added with many releases even into 3.5x
And also note that 3.0 was at least in part still based on 2.2 code! KDE 4 is
quite different from 3.x code wise, so I am rather impressed that it hasn't
crashed on me yet :)

I was part of a beta testing team (Lycoris, anyone remember that distro lol?)
when KDE3.0 was released, and so far , though I am sure it is due to time and
familiarity, this is going much smoother imo. And NOT releasing kdepim yet is
wise, as kmail at least was terribly buggy back then.

One thing about the 4.0 release is, compared to the 3.0 is that there are many
many more linux users out there, so there will be many many more ideas,
thoughts, and opinions out there, as you can see by this thread alone :)
which is A Good Thing.

--
Clay Weber
http://kubuntuforums.net