KDE Programs Naming Convention

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Sun Jan 13 08:39:32 UTC 2008

On 13/01/2008, D. Michael McIntyre <michael.mcintyre at rosegardenmusic.com> wrote:
> On Saturday 12 January 2008, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > That's a start. Seriously, if you identify the offensive sentence I'd
> > like to know. Truth is, my bluntness and non-sugar coating of thoughts
> > has offended people in the past. If I can know what is considered
> > offensive in English writing then I can learn to sugar-coat my ideas
> > such that they will not offend.
>
> It's not an offensive sentence so much as an offensive comment in general, but
> I genuinely don't understand why I feel such a visceral reaction.  I can't
> disagree that people in my country generally have no idea what names mean.
> Why, a lot of them can't even spell names correctly, and you have to look no
> further than my own father for that one.  He named me, but can never remember
> if it's Micheal or Michael.  (The disturbing thing is that Micheal isn't
> showing up in red, so there must be a lot of guys out there named Micheal,
> probably with sisters named Reneè.)

Micheal / Michael is easy to remember. It obviously ends in "-el", as
"el" means God in Hebrew. So all names such as Daniel, Israel,
Michael, and so forth refer to God. If you say the name in parts "Mi
Ka El" it means "Who is like God?":
Mi: who
Ka: is like
El: God

Explain it to your dad that way, see if he remembers now.

> I know what my names mean, and lot of other related linguistic trivia, but I
> am definitely not a typical American.  I know that to be true because I can
> think back on a lifetime of having beautiful women dismiss me with a "You're
> weird."

I think that's about par for a Linux list subscriber. (no offense :) )

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.