KDE 4.0.0!

Jason Straight jason at jeetkunedomaster.net
Sun Jan 13 05:22:39 GMT 2008

On Saturday 12 January 2008 23:55:01 Howard Coles Jr. wrote:
> On Saturday 12 January 2008 09:51:57 pm Terence Simpson wrote:
> > Edwin Sendjaja wrote:
> > > Eduardo, I have the same opinion with you. Well, this version should be
> > > beta version.
> > > I hope they will fix and add some funktions that kde 3.5.8 has already.
> > > Who expect it to be supermega fast and supermega solid. We just want a
> > > better destop than kde3.5.8, which is already super good amd super
> > > solid.
> >
> > If you want to compare it to 3.5.8 then please wait until 4.5.8, then
> > you'll be comparing things on an equal standing.
> I have to disagree here.  4.0 is the NEXT release in the KDE series, its
> supposed to be better.  KDE 3 was way better than KDE 2.whatever, as I
> recall, and KDE 2 was better than KDE 1.  We have a long history of
> expecting better, not "as good".   What you are saying sounds like you work
> for M$.
> Don't release a desktop just because its time, and expect me to act happy
> about it if its crap.  Sorry, but I've read this thread, and over and over
> again I'm hearing "can't do this" and "can't do that".  Can't resize, no
> customization, no this, and no that.  It has me seriously worried about
> running it.

I have to agree here. While I appreciate the effort into KDE4, and I'm sure
it'll turn out to be a great piece of work (probably quite soon, KDE is
usually pretty quick with updates) I don't think the current stage of KDE4.0
is really something that should be called anything more than beta quality.

A final release should be able to run more than 24 hrs w/o crashing, should
have all it's components (PIM,KDM) up to date and working, and certainly
should have waited until the most anticipated part of it was more than 2
months old (plasma), and had it's features in place.

I'm not at all dismayed with the work so far, just that it was rushed to be
called RC, and gold.

| Jason Straight
| http://www.SkyCon.net
| Yahoo: jasonrstraight