KDE Programs Naming Convention

D. Michael McIntyre michael.mcintyre at rosegardenmusic.com
Sat Jan 12 22:01:12 GMT 2008

On Saturday 12 January 2008, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> That's a start. Seriously, if you identify the offensive sentence I'd
> like to know. Truth is, my bluntness and non-sugar coating of thoughts
> has offended people in the past. If I can know what is considered
> offensive in English writing then I can learn to sugar-coat my ideas
> such that they will not offend.

It's not an offensive sentence so much as an offensive comment in general, but
I genuinely don't understand why I feel such a visceral reaction.  I can't
disagree that people in my country generally have no idea what names mean.
Why, a lot of them can't even spell names correctly, and you have to look no
further than my own father for that one.  He named me, but can never remember
if it's Micheal or Michael.  (The disturbing thing is that Micheal isn't
showing up in red, so there must be a lot of guys out there named Micheal,
probably with sisters named Reneè.)

I know what my names mean, and lot of other related linguistic trivia, but I
am definitely not a typical American.  I know that to be true because I can
think back on a lifetime of having beautiful women dismiss me with a "You're
weird."

--
D. Michael McIntyre