KDE 4.0.0!

Terence Simpson stdin at stdin.me.uk
Fri Jan 11 22:50:47 UTC 2008

Larry Hartman wrote:
> On Friday 11 January 2008 06:34:09 am Dotan Cohen wrote:
>
>> On 11/01/2008, Terence Simpson <stdin at stdin.me.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> Yes, it's finally here and ready to install :)
>>> For instructions see <http://kubuntu.org/announcements/kde-4.0.php>
>>>
>>> RocK on!
>>>
>>> Terence
>>>
>> Please report back with installation issues and usage problems. I've
>> very excited, but I cannot play russian rulette with my laptop.
>>
>> Dotan Cohen
>>
>> http://what-is-what.com
>> http://gibberish.co.il
>> א-ב-ג-ד-ה-ו-ז-ח-ט-י-ך-כ-ל-ם-מ-ן-נ-ס-ע-ף-פ-ץ-צ-ק-ר-ש-ת
>>
>> A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
>> Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
>>

> Yeah, don't use these instructions...it not only gives you the KDE4 stuff, but
> also "upgrades" numerous KDE3 packages with those in the PPA
> repository....took me 45 minutes of purging these packages, fixing broken
> dependencies and reinstalling KDE3 from the main repositories.
That's very *intentional* those packages are *needed*. (except amarok)
>   I nearly had
> a very bad problem on my hand.
>
> I think the below suggestion is far wiser and safer on your already installed
> KDE3:
>

>> It seems to also be in gutsy-backports now, as it has already started
>> downloading here.
>>

> My first install of KDE4 from PPA was not so nice....within 5 minutes of
> playing around KDE4, it crashed and I lost my panel.  I could not retrieve it
> back, so I decided to purge the install delete the .kde4 directory from my
> home directory and reinstall.  This is when I uncovered what PPA did to my
> KDE3 install.

The only difference from the PPA kde3 packages to the ones in main are
that an extra package has been added "kdebase-bin-kde3", you'll need
that or kdebase-bin-kde4 in order to use KDE4. Just reinstall the -kde3
version if you're going to remove the packages.
> Larry

Terence