KDE 4.0.0!

Larry Hartman larryhartman50 at vzavenue.net
Fri Jan 11 22:35:35 UTC 2008

On Friday 11 January 2008 06:34:09 am Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On 11/01/2008, Terence Simpson <stdin at stdin.me.uk> wrote:
> > Yes, it's finally here and ready to install :)
> > For instructions see <http://kubuntu.org/announcements/kde-4.0.php>
> >
> > RocK on!
> >
> > Terence
>
> Please report back with installation issues and usage problems. I've
> very excited, but I cannot play russian rulette with my laptop.
>
> Dotan Cohen
>
> http://what-is-what.com
> http://gibberish.co.il
> א-ב-ג-ד-ה-ו-ז-ח-ט-י-ך-כ-ל-ם-מ-ן-נ-ס-ע-ף-פ-ץ-צ-ק-ר-ש-ת
>
> A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
> Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Yeah, don't use these instructions...it not only gives you the KDE4 stuff, but
also "upgrades" numerous KDE3 packages with those in the PPA
repository....took me 45 minutes of purging these packages, fixing broken
dependencies and reinstalling KDE3 from the main repositories.  I nearly had
a very bad problem on my hand.

I think the below suggestion is far wiser and safer on your already installed
KDE3:

> It seems to also be in gutsy-backports now, as it has already started
> downloading here.

My first install of KDE4 from PPA was not so nice....within 5 minutes of
playing around KDE4, it crashed and I lost my panel.  I could not retrieve it
back, so I decided to purge the install delete the .kde4 directory from my
home directory and reinstall.  This is when I uncovered what PPA did to my
KDE3 install.

Larry