KDE 4.0.0!

Paul Lemmons paul at lemmons.name
Fri Jan 11 19:09:49 UTC 2008

-------- Original Message  --------
Subject: KDE 4.0.0!
From: Terence Simpson <stdin at stdin.me.uk>
To: Kubuntu Help and User Discussions <kubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
Date: 01/11/2008 04:52 AM
> Yes, it's finally here and ready to install :)
> For instructions see <http://kubuntu.org/announcements/kde-4.0.php>
>
> RocK on!
>
> Terence

Ok, got it installed and have only been playing with it for about an
hour, so these are only "First Impressions".

- So far, I have not been able to crash it. This is good :)
- Theme is attractive. I realize that this is not a technical
enhancement but it is still nice.
- Everything seems huge! Borders, Buttons, task bar, icons in status area
- Can't seem to customize anything (overstatement) I am used to customizing
  - Panel seems fixed in place, construction and size
  - Desktop mouse actions can not be assigned. left-click and
middle-click are dead
  - Pager no longer shows icons of running apps and no way to ask it to
- Don't see the apt-notifier in status area. I know I have some packages
that could be upgraded but the notifier is not there. I see it if I log
into 3.5.8
- I have turned on a number of "Effects" but I do not see them.
  - I may not have done it right
  - Might be that I need something in xorg.conf that I do not have.
- Started Knotes and it works.
- Not sure what applications are update to 4.0.
   - This is good in that I can't tell the difference between 3.5.8 and
4.0 before selecting
   - This in not so good... don't know what to test
   - Will run what I normally do and cross my fingers
- Runs well under VmWare Workstation 5.5.
   - vmware tools work
      - Can resize screen
      - Mouse is not captured
      - Mouse is fast
      - Networking works
   - vmware-toolbox works
      - can cut and past between host and guest
      - Clock is set correctly
- I seem to remember a lot more widgets for the desktop ... (may be a
memory fault)
  - All of the widgets I added worked
  - I can move them around and place them where I want
  - I can adjust their size and rotation
     - I have an analog clock that is upside down on my desktop (not
very useful but interesting :)

Still playing and may have more later. For now, though, the lack of
ability to customize is what will keep me from adopting 4.0. I am
looking forward to 4.1.

--
Sometimes I wonder.  Were our faith able to stand upright and look around, would it be looking down at the mustard seed or standing in awe of the height and breadth of it.