KDE Programs Naming Convention

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 13:10:26 UTC 2008

On 10/01/2008, Derek Broughton <news at pointerstop.ca> wrote:
> > Like said, K3B specifically is not memorable.
>
> Perhaps it's a cultural thing - I've never had a problem since the first
> time I used it.  Nobody else here seems to.

It might be. Are you American? From what I've seen, Americans
typically do not know the meanings of their own first and last names,
much less the names of their cities, rivers, and other objects. For
Americans, a name is often a bunch of meaningless letters, nothing
more. So obviously a program name is no more important than any other
name.

For most other cultures, names have meanings. My name is the name of a
valley near where I live. The name of my country (Israel) comes from a
biblical man who wrestled with god, and the name means just that.
Ubuntu means "unity", Firefox is a small bear, Kontact is what the
program helps me keep, and Konqueror competes with Explorers and
Navigators.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il