KDE Programs Naming Convention

D. Michael McIntyre michael.mcintyre at rosegardenmusic.com
Fri Jan 11 03:25:20 UTC 2008

> If they won't use my stuff because they don't like the name, then they
> won't use my stuff until I change this and that and the other too.  People
> like that are never happy, and it is a waste of time bothering with them.
>
> Good riddance.

After reflecting on this at work all day, I want to add that I'm certainly
open to suggestions, but there is a large measure of meeting somewhere in the
middle to this.  I'm railing against the sort of people who will stop at
nothing less than demanding that you duplicate some commercial app feature
for feature, menu for menu, and who aren't willing to concede anything for
all the effort you've put in to get as far as you have, which might not be as
far as you wanted to get, but was the best you could do, dammit.

Writing this crap is really hard, you know.  A lot of the people doing
development work are professional software engineers by day, but then there
are also a lot of people like me out here.  I'm a truck driver with a BA in
foreign languages.  My last formal programming class was on an Apple IIe, and
was probably based on Apple Pascal.

It's very, very difficult for me to write code and work on modern, GUI-based,
object-oriented software, and I do it out of love, even though everyone tells
me I'm stupid for pissing away so much time in pursuit of something for which
there is so little money that it would make a lot more sense to spend the
time working at Burger King instead, if I wanted some reason not to spend
time with my wife and kids.

Then people come in and piss and moan to the end of the earth over something
as trivial as a name.  A name!  Who gives a rat's ass what the damn thing is
called, as long as it works?!

It just hit a nerve in principle, even though nobody was actually pissing or
moaning about Rosegarden's name.  It's the kind of thing that makes me want
to say the hell with everything, and give up.

But then who would work on Rosegarden?  I have only written maybe 7% of it,
but my 7% mattered.  The whole love thing.  Damn.  I think you have to be
certifiably insane to do this kind of thing for a hobby.
--
D. Michael McIntyre