Access

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Thu Jan 10 13:32:22 UTC 2008

Neil Winchurst wrote:

> I have been using just Linux for about six years now. I found that
> everything I wanted to do was available except a database in the
> Access, Paradox style. I have always considered this to be a big
> problem for Linux users and over the years since then I have not seen
> the situation get much better.
>
> I have looked at Rekall, Knoda, Kexi and others but, as far as I know,
> there is still not anywhere in Linux an equivalent to Access or
> Paradox, even after six years of waiting. What I am referring to here
> is a program which contains everything in the one package, the so
> called monolithic database. Yes, I know that there are front ends to
> mysql et al and I accept that that is one way to go. But, I still
> believe that an all-in-one database package for Linux, à la Access, is
> needed and would be welcomed by many.

This seems like an unsolvable problem.  Such a package would require a
massive development effort, which means the resources of a large
corporation behind it.  But large corporations really _hate_ the
proliferation of Access databases, because it fosters data "islanding" -
every part of the company has its databases jealously guarded, and no
sharing is happening.  My entire livelihood consists of getting stuff out
of Access and Excel and into enterprise databases.
--
derek