PHP5 code within HTML/XHTML documents

Larry Hartman larryhartman50 at vzavenue.net
Thu Jan 10 02:49:24 UTC 2008

This one is really wierd:

I installed LAMP server on clean install of Kubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy).

I posted following issue on Ubuntu forums 4 hours ago under the same title as
subject line in email message.  I have not seen anyone with this particular
issue.

The install was very vanilla. No errors noted.

I changed Apache2 document root to /media/Abraham/01--ACADRC/
I also changed MySQL base directory to /media/Abraham/01--ACADRC/data/
I symlinked phpmyadmin to /media/Abraham/01--ACADRC/php/phpmyadmin/
I installed mediawiki 1.9 and symlinked to /media/Abraham.01--ACADRC/wiki/
I am able to view phpmyadmin properly, able to setup new databases, tables,
etc.
I am able to view the mediawiki start page properly
Here is output on bad URL:

Apache/2.2.4 (Ubuntu) PHP/5.2.3-1ubuntu6.2 Server at home.acadrc.site Port 80

What I cannot do is properly run php scripts inside my html documents

The following line will not display output in firefox/konqueror when placed
within index.html:

<?php phpinfo(); ?>

When I run this line:

<?php echo '<p>Hello World</p>';?>

I get the following results when I view the page in Firefox/Konqueror:

Hello World'; ?>

These results show me that PHP is either not being processed/parsed or, if so,
only marginally.