Video Problem WMV

Wulfy wulfmann at tiscali.co.uk
Wed Jan 9 22:59:18 GMT 2008

Clark wrote:
> Canonical CD, root/etc/apt  is exactly the same as my root/etc/apt at
> 30.3 KB.  Perhaps the problem lies elsewhere?  Canonical also has an
> empty folder called sources.list.d ( 4KB).  Had a look at some files
> in apt with kate and I now see where  the # symbol and comment issue
> arises.  Incidentally are these files here for a backup purpose, their
> names: secring.gpg ;  sources.list ; sources.list.distUpgrade ;
> sources.list.save and some others.
>
> The following is a few lines from sources.list:
>
> deb cdrom:[Kubuntu 7.10 _Gutsy Gibbon_ - Release i386 (20071016.1)]/
> gutsy main restricted
> # See http://help.ubuntu.com/community/UpgradeNotes for how to upgrade to
> # newer versions of the distribution.
>
> # Line commented out by installer because it failed to verify:
> # deb http://au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ gutsy main restricted
> # Line commented out by installer because it failed to verify:
> # deb-src http://au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ gutsy main restricted
>
> ## Major bug fix updates produced after the final release of the
> ## distribution.
> deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ gutsy-updates universe
> multiverse main restricted
> # Line commented out by installer because it failed to verify:
> # deb-src http://au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ gutsy-updates main
> restricted
>

> I am reluctant to take any high risk options as at least I can still
> use Firefox. Looks like I start again with a reload but before I do
> can you tell me if there is a Ubuntu version that is a) stable b)
> supported  as Gutsy 7.10 seems to be neither and if I am going to dump
> and download (at 1.5 meg it will be slow) I'd be better served with a
> long term support, stable distribution.

You might want to try and generate a sources.list using the tool at
[1].  You'll need to move your original sources.list out of the way [2]
and copy the file produced by the source-o-matic to /etc/apt in place of
it (you can do this in Konqueror) then [3].

[1]<http://www.ubuntu-nl.org/source-o-matic/>

In Konsole:

[2] sudo mv /etc/apt/sources.list sources.list.old

[3] sudo chown root:root /etc/apt/sources.list

--
Blessings

Wulfmann

Wulf Credo: