KDE Programs Naming Convention

WANSTALL Malcolm malcolm.wanstall at cnh.com
Wed Jan 9 22:10:41 UTC 2008

Dotan Cohen wrote:
>On 09/01/2008, Norberto Bensa <nbensa at gmail.com> wrote:
>> And remember: not everyone speaks English... So what should be
>>meanful
>> to you, it's not to the other 6 billions people out there...
>
>I don't speak English either. In fact, we don't even use Latin
>letters, or even write from left to right! Despite all that, my users
>_still_ demand meaningful names. I'm not giving you _my_ opinion,
>because I personally don't care. I'm reporting what is reported to me
>by many users.
>
>Dotan Cohen

Thanks Dotan, I am in exactly the same boat. Personally, I'm completely
used to all the program names, use them every day _but_ I experienced
someone who did find it difficult. I'm just not sure why it seems to be
such a sore point with some.

Norberto, We're going to have to agree to disagree on this one, we're
not getting anywhere or adding anything to the list and you're obviously
a staunch anti-MS person (big companies always suffer from tall poppy
syndrome). I prefer OOo because it's free, but I can also admit that MS
Word is a good application (just because you prefer one thing doesn't
mean you have to hate the rest). I use Linux at home, Windows at work, I
prefer Linux but just blindly bashing MS and all it's products is a
little "last year"...

Thanks to all who contributed, the woman I mentioned in the original
post is going to borrow one of my Kubuntu desktops for a week and said
she'd give it an honest go and I said I'd give her a few lessons to boot
(I've also printed her out some shortcut keys) so the experiment
continues!

-Mal