KDE Programs Naming Convention

WANSTALL Malcolm malcolm.wanstall at cnh.com
Wed Jan 9 05:45:21 UTC 2008

Norberto Bensa wrote:
>Would you had a problem if it was named Kcontact? Kconqueror?

No, actually that seems to make it look more silly. As someone pointed out earlier, I have less of an issue with the core products, more the 3rd party ones tend to be pushing the limit...realising these core ones do have some brand behind them it's a bit adventurous for me to want a change.

>Microsoft Word. It doesn't mean anything to me. Because guess what: I
>speak SPANISH! Would Microsoft rename it Microsoft Palabra? And while
>we are at it. What does Microsoft Word do? Is it a spellchecker?

I beg to differ, Microsoft Word _does_ mean something to you, as a branded product. You know _exactly_ what it does because of the amount of money behind the brand and all kinds of advertising. Products with less financial clout have to be more clever to be seen.

>On the other hand. OpenOffice Calc is named OpenOffice Planilla de
>Cálculo if you install language-pack-es and it is a big plus for us
>non-us/gb people ;)

That's a VERY clever feature of OOo and please note I'm not trying to take away from any software itself (especially not OOo since I use it, and all of the K* programs daily)

>And remember: not everyone speaks English... So what should be meanful
>to you, it's not to the other 6 billions people out there...

That's a valid point and I take that on board. I think we're both aiming at different points a little here, I'm not trying to argue with the internationalisation of KDE, I think that is fantastic, what I would like to see is some more creativity and thought put into the branding (thus naming) of top notch software. It does have a habit of scaring away some new people and I'd like to see the barriers to entry as low as possible. Possibly there is a new position to add to open source dev teams, even for little projects, someone with some marketing experience...someone from...the outside world. :)

-Mal