KDE Programs Naming Convention

cary Bielenberg cary at bielenberg.id.au
Wed Jan 9 05:02:01 UTC 2008

Martin Walshe wrote:

>     There really should be a movement towards better names. What the hell
>     is K3B? And what program should I burn a disk with?
>
>     Microsoft has great names: Office for an office suit, Internet
>     Explorer for an Internet web browser, Media Player for a media player.
>     Ask someone off the street what Amarok or Firefox do, and you will
>     get
>     a blank stare.
>
>     K3B has to be the worst of the bunch.
>
>     Dotan Cohen
>

> K3B is such a great app though its name doesnt matter. If you want the
> normal why are you on a linux distro? Anyone who uses the distros
> knows what the apps are so i dont see a problem.

Ok, lets jump the fence for a moment! What the hell is Nero? or Adobe
Acrobat,? Windows has it's fair share of weird names! Just as someone
now to computing has a learning curve so do new users to KDE or Gnome. I
struggled at 1st with the names but now it is 2nd nature. My wife who is
a typical Windows user (past tense) had Kubuntu thrust upon her when her
Windows machine kept blue screening while on a deadline to finish an
assignment last year, I got her to get out my laptop, log in & pointed
her to the shares where her files were on the server & bingo she was
back in action. Her learning curve was not that great & now she is a
great ambassador to Linux/Kubuntu (she even wears a Kubuntu polo to work
some days)

The reason for my ramble is anything different has a learning curve! If
you have the motivation or need you will learn very easily. On a lighter
side one of her friends was complaining about her machine blue
screening, her response was "whats a blue screen?"

Cary