KDE Programs Naming Convention

James Gray james at gray.net.au
Tue Jan 8 22:41:00 UTC 2008

On 09/01/2008, at 9:25 AM, WANSTALL Malcolm wrote:
> Does anyone else see this as a bit of a marketing blunder and is there
> _any_ community push to change this? Surely good names like Amarok,
> Rosegarden and Bluefish aren't that hard to come up with...they
> certainly make a better first impression on people new to KDE/Linux.

One of the most popular KDE applications, that is actually installed
on many Gnome desktops too, is "Amarok".  It's a media player al la
"iTunes" and extremely good at what it does.  In many ways (even as a
Mac user[1]) I still prefer Amarok over iTunes :P

But I agree, the incessant naming everything with a "K" is starting to
wear thin, the same as Apple sticking "i" in front of everything
(we're over it....move on Steve!).  I don't have a problem if the KDE
project wants to name their core applications, like Kontact, Koffice,
etc, with a "K" to identify them as kore (pun intended) but the third
party developers (like me) need to get a little more imaginative with
their naming schemes.

Cheers,

James
[1] I run Kubuntu on my desktop at work.