sound recording does not work on intel HD audio ??

Fred Schaer fred.schaer at wanadoo.fr
Mon Jan 7 20:21:12 UTC 2008

Hi,

Just for fun : I'm still trying things, but here are some results :

I managed recording audio with arecord with following command :
arecord -r 44100 -c 2 -f S16_LE | lame -x - out.mp3

Thing is that in order to get that, I had to
- I'm using the alsa option model=6stack
- have "Front Mic" selected as 1st input source (inpurt sources 2 and 3
don't seem to work at all)
- It is *Line in* controls that change the sound on the PC speakers
- Headphones have top be unmuted in alsa play section (why ??)
- in the alsamixer, "Digital" has to be about "-3.50" dB, otherwise,
there's either no sound or just cracking noise (!) -- by the way : is
this normal this gain can be set between -30 and +30 dB ?? I doubt these
values are usefull...
- capture volume does not seem to have any effect...

As you see, this is really really weird... I'm going to retry with no
module option, to see if it helped or not (considering the Digital dB
behaviour, I had no chance tweaking settings with kmix - dB values were
far too low or too high when adjusted with mouse...)

Cheers

P.S : I had no luck recording audio with mencoder , still trying but I
fear alsa recording is buggy there ;)