sound recording does not work on intel HD audio ??

D. Michael McIntyre michael.mcintyre at rosegardenmusic.com
Sat Jan 5 18:17:34 UTC 2008

On Saturday 05 January 2008, Fred Schaer wrote:
> I just checked, I don't have snd-hda-intel (or snd_hda_intel ?) anywhere
> in /etc : maybe the module is loaded in the initrd ? In that case, I'll
> try to regenerate the initrd files...

You won't find a kernel module in /etc.  The modules are the various .ko files
under /lib/modules/$YOUR_KERNEL_VERSION, but you have no reason to go
screwing around with any of that.  The modules are not going to be loaded by
your initd, which is only for critical modules necessary for booting, like
the drivers for filesystems and various kinds of storage hardware.

What you want to start with is lsmod to see which modules are loaded.  You'll
probably find your snd_hda_intel there.  I don't know how to fix your
problem, but I deal with how_to_get_sound_working issues constantly, and I've
seen a lot of people reporting problems with Intel and HD in them, to the
point where I really hate that chip, even though I don't know anything about
it.

I'd try the ALSA upgrade first.  Who knows.
--
D. Michael McIntyre