Need Startup Help Kbuntu

Clark cpmcc at optusnet.com.au
Tue Jan 1 23:32:30 UTC 2008

Hi Donn,

follow on from previous query re OOO spellcheck your knowledge please.
I have come up with a reference (a new set of dictionaries) from the
people who sold me the Kbuntu distribution. The instructions seem to
leave a few steps out (my questions in brackets) and you are right, this
seems to be a bug that no one has picked up on; what should be done
about that?

The suggested solution:

*OpenOffice.org*

*Australian English dictionary*

Full version

Right click on the following link and save the full version of the
dictionary files.

en_AU_V2.2.0.zip
<http://www.justlocal.com.au/clients/oooau/en_AU_V2.2.0.zip>
(right click didn't work, left click and save to desktop - is this OK)

Kelvin version (Our preferred dictionary.)

Right click on the following link and save our preferred spelling
dictionary files.

kelvin_en_AU_V2.2.0.zip
<http://www.justlocal.com.au/clients/oooau/kelvin_en_AU_V2.2.0.zip>

*Australian English Hyphenation file*

This version of the hyphenation file corrects an error.

Right click on the following link and save the hyphenation file.

hyph_en_AU.dic <http://www.justlocal.com.au/clients/oooau/hyph_en_AU.dic>
(this one was different, it downloaded a file starts with an ISO No.
already unpacked?)

*Australian English Thesaurus file*

We have made a first pass of the Thesaurus file and removed numerous
obvious entries which are generally not considered the way to spell the
word in Australia. For example the word "color" has been removed.

Right click on the following link and save the Thesaurus file.

th_en_AU_2.2.1.zip
<http://www.justlocal.com.au/clients/oooau/th_en_AU_2.2.1.zip>
(Download as for Dict)

The file names within the zip file is kept is v2 in keeping with the
file naming standards introduced with OpenOffice.org V2.x.

File release date: 9 December 2006

NOTE: Version 2.2.1 fixes an error reported by Scott Steele. Thanks.

*Australian English Dictionary.lst file*

The dictionary.lst file is the file which lets OpenOffice.org know which
language files to use.

The following file is set up to work with all the above language files.
You should review this file to see that it meets your needs.

If you wish to use additional languages to Australian English you should
manually modify the dictionary.lst file to meet your needs.

Right click on the following link and save the dictionary.lst file.

dictionary.lst <http://www.justlocal.com.au/clients/oooau/dictionary.lst>

NOTE: One person has reported this file downloading as
"dictionary.lst.txt". If this happens rename the file back to
"dictionary.lst".

NOTE: Thanks to Tauroka for advising that Linux/Unix/BSD are sensitive
to a final carriage return at the end of files. For Linux/Unix/BSD a
final carriage return needs to be added to the dictionary.lst file.

How to install Australian English Dictionary for OpenOffice.org in Ubuntu

Download Dictionary files from this page.

Unzip the downloaded dictionary files

If you're using *Ubuntu (Gnome)*, press Alt-F2 and type
gksudo nautilus
If you're using *Kubuntu (KDE)*, press Alt-F2 and type
kdesu konqueror (this doesn't work but I can open a terminal if this is
what is needed ?)
If you're using *Xubuntu (XFCE)*, press Alt-F2 and type
gksudo thunar

Go to (do I do this in command line ?? if so where do I get command line
instructions)

/usr/lib/openoffice/share/dict/ooo

Find the file

dictionary.lst

rename it to dictionary.lstold

This will allow you to get it back if you need to

drag the unzipped dictionary files into /usr/lib/openoffice/share/dict/ooo
(this suggests that it is done in windows, is that possible / ok)

Close the window and restart OpenOffice.org. You will now have
Australian English as your default dictionary

The Ubuntu instructions were provided by Gareth Humphreys. Thank you for
taking the time to contribute the instructions for the benefit of others.

(I am a little suspicious that this will still have the same problem if
the bug is due to the combination of options selected on start-up which
I am fairly sure is the case)

You did ask that I keep you posted on any progress with this issue and
your comment and advice is still much needed.

Cheers,

Clark.