Off Topic: OpenOffice.org Base HSQLD Help

Larry Hartman larryhartman50 at vzavenue.net
Tue Jan 1 11:09:09 UTC 2008

I have a table that holds generic personal info:

TABLE1:
AUTHID: INTEGER auto-indexed, key
LNAME: VARCHAR
FNAME: VARCHAR
MNAME: VARCHAR

I have LISTBOX1 in a subform that uses QUERY1 for listing contents.

QUERY1 has this HSQLDB code in it:

SELECT CASE WHEN "MNAME" <> '' THEN CONVERT("AUTHID",
VARCHAR) || '-' || "LNAME" || ', ' || "FNAME" || ' ' || "MNAME" ELSE
CONVERT("AUTHID", VARCHAR) || '-' || "LNAME" || ', ' || "FNAME" END AS "NAME"
FROM "TBL-AUTHORS"

The HSQLDB code converts the "AUTHID" INTEGER to VARCHAR and concatenates it
with LNAME, FNAME, and MNAME and places the results into a single VARCHAR
field NAMEID.  The codes has a test to determine if MNAME is empty.  I tested
QUERY1 by itself and it appears functional.

The LISTBOX1 is intended to take output from QUERY1 for its list.  When
selected information will go into NAMEID field of TABLE2.

Despite the fact that QUERY1 works by itself, LISTBOX1 will not load its list
when pointed to QUERY1 as its list source.  Neither will it update its list
if I use the code from QUERY1 as an SQL [Native] statement.  I have also
tried making a table view of QUERY1 as TABLE3.  When I set LISTBOX1 to source
its list to TABLE3, I still get an empty list.

Any ideas what I am missing here?

Larry