Installation of Joomla 1.5 at Kubuntu 7.10

Andrew Jarrett jarrett.andrew at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 18:18:10 UTC 2008

On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 12:52 PM, Bas Roufs <basroufs at gmail.com> wrote:
>  I have been looking for Joomla in the regular Kubuntu and Ubuntu
>  repositories. There I did not yet find it so far. Is it in the
>  repositories somewhere?

I don't know if it is in the repositories or not, but all you really
have to do is download the tar.gz from their website, extract to a
directory in your html directory, and then connect to that folder
through your browser (e.g. connect to "http://localhost/~bas/joomla").
 Joomla will then do all of its configuration and installation from
the browser.

Before you do this, though, you need to setup Apache and MySQL (see below).

>  > 2. Google around for apache2 stuff to get that kind of thing setup - it's not
>  > easy and I always forget what I've done 3 seconds after I did it :)
>  >
>  please, explain a bit more, if possible. I have seen the name 'Apache'
>  elsewhere in Joomla context. However, I do not yet know the role and
>  importance of it.

Apache is free software that allows your computer to be a web server.
Before you can install Joomla, you will need a running web server!

>  > 3. You'll prob. need mysql server installed first (that's most common)
>  >

>  Also in this case, you might have a point bearing in mind what I already
>  read about Joomla. However, pls. - could you briefly indicate what
>  'MySQL' is?

Joomla does require MySQL to be installed.  MySQL is free software
that allows your computer to be a database server.  Joomla uses a
database to store necessary information (not sure what exactly).

I believe Joomla also requires php(5?) to be installed.

Both apache and mysql are easy to install and are in the repositories.
 Make sure you install mysql *server*.  There are plenty of guides to
help you install apache, mysql, and php.  Just google for "ubuntu
lamp" or similar.

Andrew

--
45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B2