VBox and Gutsy

Neil Winchurst neil at holsdev.vispa.com
Tue Feb 26 11:48:21 UTC 2008

On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 11:29:15 +0100
Nils Kassube <kassube at gmx.net> wrote:

> Neil Winchurst wrote:
> > Sound. There is no sound. Kmix is shown as installed but when I start
> > it there is only a blank screen.
>
> Did you enable sound at the control panel for the virtual machine? It is
> disabled by default.

No, I have not looked at that. I must see if I can find out how to do
that.
> > Printer. I deliberately did not have my printer switched on while I was
> > installing Gutsy, because I wanted to see if I could add it later. No.
> > When I go to System Settings -> Printers and try to add a printer the
> > local printer choice is grayed out. This works fine on Edgy.
>
> With "This works fine on Edgy.", do you mean, you can use your printer at
> the host system or with Edgy installed in a virtual machine?

No, I mean that the printer works fine in Edgy, which is my main (host)
distro.

What sort of > printer is it anyway?

Epson Photo 810.

I think, VirtualBox can only see printers connected > to a serial port
(and that has to be enabled in the control panel) or via > USB. But for
USB you would need the PUEL version, not the GPL version. I  can't see
an option to access a parallel port with VirtualBox though.

Ah, my printer is connected to a parallel port.

> Another option would be a network printer setup, i.e. enable printer
> sharing on the host and access the printer via network from the guest.
> Then you can print from both the host and guest system. Maybe this
> <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/NetworkPrintingWithUbuntu> will help
> you with the setup.
>

> Nils
Thanks for the help so far. I will report back

Neil