which wireless router?

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Mon Feb 25 14:32:57 UTC 2008

Jussi Schultink wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Sat, Feb 23, 2008 at 7:47 PM, Nigel Ridley <nigel at rmk.co.il> wrote:
>> So I finally have the readies for a new Dell laptop (the ones without
>> that 'other' os) and
>>  I'm in the market for a wireless (plus wired) router. Trouble is, I
>>  checked for available models and there are just too many to be able to
>>  make a good decision.
>>
>>  Anybody want to offer some advice?
>>  I want to be able to use our existing wired home network and have the
>>  wirelss option for my new laptop.
>>
> I have always had good experiences with Dlink, they also have a model
> which can have a linux firmware loaded onto it.

I, otoh, have no end of trouble with the DLink routers at my public library
(even if I use Vista, gack!), and no trouble with my own Linksys (running
linux).

>>  What's the difference between the ones with one antenna, two antennas or
>>  even 3?

They _claim_ more is better.  I can't help think they'd cause interference
patters, but perhaps that doesn't matter at such short wavelengths.

>>  Is there a preference [for us linux users] to a certain brand -
>>  ie. Netgear, D-link, Edimax or 3Com - which ones work best with Linux
>>  (that is being able to set them up and adjust security)?

You want to get one that you can put your own linux firmware on.
--
derek