Display only at 640*480

Ollie Killingback ollie at techieinblack.info
Sun Feb 24 09:27:38 UTC 2008

I had Kubutu 7.04 installed on my desktop which has been trouble free
until yesterday.  When I booted it, the screen res was 640*480 and could
not be changed using the controls in System Settings.  As I have Windows
on the same PC I booted into that to see if it was a hardware issue.
Windows performed normally, so something must have been broken by the
update I did the day before yesterday.  Normally I do these whenever
Adept prompts me, but I had got a bit behind due to pressure of work.

So I decided this was the time to upgrade to 7.10 and ran a normal
version upgrade through Adept, which seemed to go normally.  I guess I
was stupid, tho' in that when I was prompted to replace or keep some
files the only ones I kept were my desktop - perhaps not a good idea.

After the upgrade the situation was as before - 640*480 on a large flat
screen - almost unusable - and not way to change it via the GUI.

Can anyone please advise me what to try next before I do a complete
reinstall from a new DVD?

--
Ollie K

Registered Linux User #416431  http://counter.li.org