CPU hog causes KDE System Guard to open too late.

Andrew Jarrett jarrett.andrew at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 06:52:35 UTC 2008

On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 8:25 PM, Anton Rolls <anton at wilddsl.net.au> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>  I have a (minor) situation occurring today where
>  Thunderbird checks mail and seems to have trouble
>  communicating with the email server.
>  (This is an intermittent problem and may be
>   caused by the server, I don't know yet.)
>
>  While it is waiting for a timeout, cpu utilization
>  goes high.
>
>  The first thing I want to do when this happens is
>  open KDE System Guard with Ctrl+Esc as I usually
>  do, however, with Thunderbird hogging CPU like that
>  it takes an unusually long time to open.
>  By the time it opens, there's a good chance that
>  the timeout has occurred and cpu use is back to
>  normal.
>
>  That seems like a failure of the user interface
>  to serve my interests (which include running
>  software which might have bugs).
>
>  Is there a way to raise the priority of the user
>  interface or of KDE System Guard so that launching
>  it is not held up by any cpu-hogging app ?
>
>  Regards,
>
>  Anton.

I am not sure about a way to give the KDE System Guard higher
priority, but have you tried Ctrl+Alt+Esc?  This should change your
cursor to an 'X' and you can click on Thunderbird to instantly kill it
(BTW, you can hit Esc again to get your normal cursor back if you
change your mind).  This might bypass the long wait for the System
Guard and you will get to kill the app (which I assume is the point of
opening the System Guard).  The problem might be that Thunderbird is
hogging access to your drive and not letting the System Guard
interrupt.  Whatever the problem is, you should definitely think about
opening a bug report with Mozilla.

Andrew

--
45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B2