Getting sleep and hibernate working on a Dell Inspiron 8500

Howard Coles Jr. dhcolesj at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 20:08:30 UTC 2008

On Thursday 21 February 2008 11:43:18 am Robert Menes wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 12:34 PM, Howard Coles Jr. <dhcolesj at gmail.com>
>
> wrote:
> > What video driver are you running?  I've had lots of problems with this
> > running the Nvidia binary drivers.
> >
> > --
> > See Ya'
> > Howard Coles Jr.
> > John 3:16!
> >
> > --
>
> Hi Howard,
>
> Yes, I'm running the Nvidia drivers. What happens is the laptop does go
> into hibernation, but doesn't
> properly come out of it. It instead just restarts a new session entirely.
>
> Do you have a solution or workaround to this?
>
> --Rob
> (Kubuntu user and damn proud of it)

I hate to say it, but that sounds about right.  I get all kinds of weirdness
when I restart after hibernating, from just a black screen, no wireless, no
response at all, etc.  It doesn't seem to have a specific pattern on my
laptop.

The problem Is the only solution I have found is to run the nv driver instead
of nvidia's Binary drivers.

--
See Ya'
Howard Coles Jr.