knetworkmanager-network manager issues

Phil Bieber philbieber at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 07:25:49 UTC 2008

On Wed, Feb 13, 2008 at 10:06 PM, Michael W. Holdeman <lists at ptfd.org> wrote:
> On Wednesday 13 February 2008 11:12:04 O. Sinclair wrote:
>  > Michael W. Holdeman wrote:
>  > > My laptop connects at several different wireless points in several
>  > > offices, hence the need for a laptop I guess.
>  > >
>  > > Problems are this one location now requires a static IP for both the
>  > > wired and or wireless, 3 others are dhcp.
>  > >
>  > > How can I get k/networkmanager to work nicely with this situation. I am
>  > > happy with it with the dhcp wireless, works slick but when I set up a
>  > > manual (static) setting then it no longer works properly for new networks
>  > > with dhcp.
>  >
>  > I dont know if you can but I use WICD at wicd.sourceforge.net to sort
>  > out this and similar problems with wired networks with different
>  > settings. It replaces (k)networkmanager in other words.
>  >
>  > Sinclair
>
>  Thanks,
>
>  WICD seems to be working well now. Now let me ask you how I could generate a
>  script that would execute after connecting to a couple of nets that would
>  transparently change my proxy settings from direct connect to using a proxy
>  for all my browsers, (konqueror, konq4, and firefox) when attaching to
>  certian nets?
>
>  Mike

Hi!
In WICD you can define scripts to be executed before and after you
connect to a network. In there you could put a script that exports the
variable http_proxy.
Only thing, that is not too good about that way is: it doesnt work for
Firefox. So, if you know a way to define a proxy for firefox from an
external source, thats how you can do it :D . But it should work for
the Konquerors.

Also, there is an extension to firefox that is quite good for dealing
with many different proxies, but I seem to have misplaced the name and
I'm not at my personal machine...

I'll try to get back to you when I get home!

Cheers
Phil Bieber
--
Avoid rape - say yes!

Warnings from the manual for Layer Express v2 (an AutoCAD extension):
Written on Page 12 (Blank page separating Ch. 1 & 2):
 To reduce the risk of shock,
 Do not remove the cover of this book.
 No serviceable components inside.

GPG KEY ID (Philipp Bieber): 0x0185E301
FINGERPRINT: CA81 28C2 E63F DAF8 5ED4 DACB 7C26 EE5B 0185 E301
Phil Bieber - philbieber at gmail.com

GPG KEY ID (Philipp Bieber Work): 0x3E43576A
FINGERPRINT: F043 92A1 2A2C 5256 52A9 DECB A39F B04C 3E43 576A
Philipp Bieber - philipp.bieber at gundlach.de