No valid font path

Donn donn.ingle at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 00:47:11 UTC 2008

Mike,
Apologies - I assumed you were more experienced for some reason. As Andrew
says, the user interface in Gnu/Linux land is entirely optional and
wide-ranging. You can choose from an array of different approaches. These
things are known as 'window managers' (WM) - they manage 'windows' which is a
generic (and pre-MS) word for the boxes that contain apps.

Just to reiterate: Gnu/Linux sits underneath whatever WM you like. You can
have many all going simultaneously and switch between them!

 Ubuntu/Kubuntu/??buntu all represent a core of identical stuff with a
different WM and a varying choice of applications pre-installed to give them
a flavour/purpose. Any one can morph into the other by the installation of
further software (and some fiddling) but it's better to aim at what you need
in the first place.

KDE:
Very advanced, fast (I find) and highly configurable.
Represented as "Kubuntu" in the Ubuntu distro family
GNOME:
Attractive, user-friendly. I can't say much about it cos I use KDE.
"Ubuntu" is this one.

Others have names like "Enlightenment" (E16 and E17 - E17 is
wow), "Blackbox", "Fluxbox" and I forget the others. There are many.

To get you up and running on KDE, do this:
1. Connect to the net. I hope you got this going. If not, it's a whole 'nother
story.
2. From your terminal issue:
sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
3. Prepare for a large download! Go make pancakes :)

That should start the process of downloading and installing KDE and all it
requires. I am not 100% sure because I have never used the 'server' version
of Ubuntu (indeed, I never knew there was a release sans a window manager.)
so there may be added wrinkles. This is why I advised you start again with
another ISO. Try this link:
http://www.kubuntu.org/download.php

HTH,
\d