master boot record

Paul Runner prunner at sbcglobal.net
Tue Feb 12 16:39:31 UTC 2008

Thanx for the quick reply, I must still have not enough knowledge yet, because I couldn't get it done.
  Paul

Andrew Syrewicze <asyrewicze at gmail.com> wrote:
  On Monday 11 February 2008 12:08:59 Paul Runner wrote:
> I am new to Kubuntu and linux, I would like to know how to delete previous
> versions on the master boot record. Everytime I do an update it adds the
> new version and the older versions stay as a choice. Also other family
> members use the computer and I would like to make Wndows XP the default
> startup OS or have a longer time before Kubuntu is automatically chosen.
>
> Thank You,
> Paul

I'm guessing you mean removing old instances of the kernel from your Grub boot
menu???

In that case you need to open adept and search for linux-image and remove the
oldest version.

as for selecting WinXP by default you need to edit you /boot/grub/menu.lst
file, and change the defualt value in the file to what number XP is in the
order of the grub Boot list. (the first entry being 0)

ANDO