Remote desktop

David Fletcher kubuntu-users at thefletchers.net
Thu Feb 7 22:39:10 UTC 2008

On Thursday 07 Feb 2008, Andrew Jarrett wrote:

> Yep, that's it.  I, too, have a Belkin router and the "Virtual Server"
> section is what you want.  You need to make sure that your
> mother-in-law has a static IP so that the traffic will always go to
> her computer.  Just give it a name, set the internal IP, and set the
> port and you're ready to go.
>
> Andrew

Seems to work for me. I set the router to forward port 22 to my home server
and set iptables to accept port 22 from the fixed IP address of the server at
work. Used ssh to log in to the server at work from my desktop then back
again to my current IP address at home, which worked.

So, yes, it seems to be OK to set up port forwarding on a router with a
dynamic IP address, so long as you know what the ISP has set the address to
at any time. I'll set stronger passwords, though, before I think about
setting up the arrangement permanently.

Dave

--
Registered Linux user number 393408