three issues

Jonas Norlander jonorland at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 12:19:09 UTC 2008

On Feb 5, 2008 2:35 PM, Constantinos Maltezos <pandarsson at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi.  I'm new to the list.
>
> I have three issues that I'm hoping someone can help me with.  I have googled
> my butt off and haven't found anything to resolve them.  I've found answers
> that seem to have worked for some, but I have no such luck.
>
> First, a little information.  I'm using Gutsy (7.10).  I have it on a 10
> gigabyte partition on my Compaq Presario V5000 laptop.  It has an AMD Turion
> 64 CPU and an ATI graphics chip.  A Broadcom wireless network chip
> (fortunately got that working with ndiswrapper).  And everything is working
> beautifully but for the following issues.
>
> 1.  The console.
>
> After I choose to boot Kubuntu from Grub, I get a black screen.  It remains
> black until X starts.  After, if I go to the first console (ctrl+alt+f1), the
> font is huge and the resolution appears to extend below the bottom of the
> monitor.  And then, when I shut down, I get a black screen again.

I have exact same problem. Black screen while booting and shutting down and low
resulotion in console mode (I often work in console and are used to
have 1280x1024).

As I understand it it's because vesafb don't work with 64 bit OS and never will.
If I remember right it is fixed in Hardy by using uvesafb
http://dev.gentoo.org/~spock/projects/uvesafb/
instead. It will probebly don't be fixed for Gutsy as so many other things.