using amarok with multiple configurations?

D. R. Evans doc.evans at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 16:45:41 GMT 2008

Chris Gow said the following at 02/04/2008 05:38 AM :

>> Oh, what I would like to do is start  amarok when I am away with a
>> different db. this would get me around the worst part of the problem(the
>> "full"database being overwritten with the info from the sd card when I
>> listen away from home), but would also let me potentially merge the two
>> databases and keep a track of all of my listening history.
> I don't think that there is a switch that will allow you to switch databases.
> However one option to simulate what you want would be to create two databases
> one for your SD and the other for home. In order to merge the two you'd need
> to write some database scripts as the previous poster mentions.

Right.

I would write a small script that simply renames the two databases so that
the right one is selected. amarok will always use the database called
"collection.db", so the script would just make sure that the correct
database has that name before starting amarok.

> Dunno if that will change in the Amarok 2 releases

Yeah, I was wondering about that as well.

It does seem like an easy thing to implement; it can't be more than a few
lines of code.

  Doc