kubuntu 6.06 messed while installing raid 5 array - what happened ?

Jonas Norlander jonorland at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 23:59:03 UTC 2008

On Feb 4, 2008 11:57 PM, Christophe Guilbert <cguilbert at picasso.ucsf.edu> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I had a working kubuntu 6.06 before trying to install a raid 5 array ,
> here what heppened.
> I have 3 HDs (1TB),
>
> Once I did with
> |mdadm --create --verbose /dev/md0 --level=5 --raid-devices=3 /dev/sdb
> /dev/sdc /dev/sdd
>
> and reboot,
> I could not log in anymore , I was stuck immediately after raid service
> was loading with a "GLIBC ERROR FREE OR CORRUPTED" message.
>
> trying to deactivate the mdadm-raid service at start to see if I could
> reboot, I find out that I don't have /etc/rc2.d directory anymore !!??
>
> What happened ? any thought ??
> how do I restore /etc/rc2.d ????
> what else I can try ?
>
> Thanks
>
> Chris

I don't know about the raid or what happend but you should be able to
boot up to another
bootlevel if it's only rc2.d thats broken. On Ubuntu i think level 2,
3 and 4 have same bootscripts so try
to add a 3 or 4 to the boot parameters in grub. You can also boot to
level 1(rescue mood)
and try to fix it.